One year after… Why I failed at blogging
About a year ago, I started this blog and promised myself I was going to blog every week. I was so determined and happy when I wrote my first post. While trying to make myself keep to my promise, I decided to share my goal and dreams as my first post believing it will keep me focused and determined.
Unfortunately, I failed at blogging. I got over the excitement of blogging and before I knew it I abandoned my blog. After the second post I got lost. Did not know what to write about. I ran away from my blog. I disappointed myself and kept telling myself every week “I will look for a topic and blog next week” but never did. I am forcing myself to write this even though i am not sure what to write.
I think it will help me say why I failed and what I should have done differently. As I state why I failed, I will explain how it affected me and how I should have resolved it.
1. I was trying to be PERFECT: This is the greatest mistake I made. I forgot I was human and prone to errors. I wanted my blog to be the best, without errors and every post better than the previous post. This is not a bad thing but I tell you, it is the wrong thing. It is alright not to be perfect just seek perfection and learn as you grow. I forgot I could only become perfect if I keep blogging and learning as I blog. There is no perfect blog.
2. I thought no one would read it: Sometimes being behind the wheel does not mean you believe in the engine of the car. I forgot the power of the internet and doubt my internet presence for no reason. How this happened and why, I really can not explain. All I know is I just thought you were not going to read this.
3. I was not documenting daily activities: I will call this the root of my failure. I didn’t know the power of documentation. Because, I did no documentation I had nothing to talk about. By weekend, all the great things I did during the week were not interesting again because I could not refresh my memory. I have learnt from my Boss and friend JR Kanu to always document and as I have started I am not looking back.
4. I gave myself stupid targets: I keep asking myself why I gave myself that kind of target. A blog post every week!!! I am not saying it is impossible but it highly depends on my schedules. I will take back my promise on my first post and say I will blog whenever I feel like. My commitment to weekly took the fun from me and made it feel like a job I didn’t want.
5. It does not have to be long: I later found out the shorter the better. People do not want to read long stories. I thought the longer the better but i was wrong. My bad.
6. I feared what you will say: After missing a week, I was afraid what people will say if I continued blogging afterwards. All I can say is fear kept me silent till today. Fear is dangerous, we all need to get ride of it.
This is why I think I failed. Since I know why I failed, my problem is half solved. I look up to myself to ensure the six things above don’t stop me again.
Shine on Jacob. You can blog again.